‘Recovered’ French star Deneuve to return to filming

Paris (AFP)

French film icon Catherine Deneuve will return to work next month after suffering a minor stroke on set last year, a spokeswoman for the actress told AFP.

The 76-year-old was ironically in a hospital shooting a scene for the movie “De son vivant” (“In His Lifetime”) in November when she fell ill.

"Fully recovered": French star Catherine Deneuve suffered a minor stroke last year
“Fully recovered”: French star Catherine Deneuve suffered a minor stroke last year LOIC VENANCE AFP/File

Her spokeswoman said Deneuve, who has been France’s biggest screen star since the 1960s, has “perfectly recovered” from a “very limited” ischemic stroke.

“She was very lucky that she was treated very quickly as they were shooting in a hospital,” she added.

Since then the star of “The Umbrellas of Cherbourg”, “Belle de Jour” and “Indochine” — for which she was nominated for an Oscar — has “reacted well to treatment and has got some rest”.

Shooting will restart on the delayed film directed by Emmanuelle Bercot, which was halted by Deneuve’s illness, on July 6, the producers said late Tuesday.

The movie also stars Benoit Magimel as a man suffering from cancer, with Deneuve playing his mother.

Since the shoot was halted dozens of other French films have suffered the same fate because of the coronavirus.

Deneuve was last seen in Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda’s latest film, “The Truth”, alongside Juliette Binoche.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s